» Raiding Mindset
Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:10 pm by Deristus

» Normal Blackrock Foundry
Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:15 pm by Damaged

» Heroic Oregorger Video Guides
Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:51 am by Cheeko

» Checking in
Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:15 am by Bushie

» Completely unrelated to the game, but...
Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:45 pm by Sophye

» ADDON- Thogar Assist
Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:01 pm by Cheeko

» Great Sadness
Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:38 pm by Lutrinae

» WoL
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:35 pm by Deristus

Keywords

laptop recommendations?

Go down

laptop recommendations?

Post by Equis on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:12 pm

So, I would like a laptop able to do big graphics oriented projects for school, but doesn't cost a bunch of money. Full disclosure is that I don't know a damn thing about computers. Any brands or websites or specific computers anyone would recommend?

Thanks.

Equis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: laptop recommendations?

Post by Slater on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:56 pm

What sort of graphic projects are we talking about? Depending on how intense we're talking you'll run into issues with either budget, portability, or performance.

Also, what screen size and resolution are you looking to get? I think most Windows laptops these days start at 1080p and go up from there while Apple has stuff as low as 1280 x 800 to 2880 x 1800.

Slater
Dalek's Bane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Schlup on Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:18 pm

What is the budget for this laptop? How much are you willing to spend?

Schlup

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Equis on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:21 pm

Budget would 1500 max. Programs to run include solidworks and the Arc GIS suite hopefully. And, ya know, some games wouldn't be unwelcome. Screen res I don't really care about, anything modern is good enough for me. I'm pretty willing to sacrifice portability, within reason. Then performance, then budget.

My laptop of 7 years recently popped out on me, and was barely running anymore besides. Tough old guy, connected to the internet in at least six countries (Russia, China, USA, Singapore, Malaysia, Phillipines), playing wow for several years as well.

Equis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Equis on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:22 pm

That's merican dollars, not maple syrup gallons.

Equis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Schlup on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Here ya go...and a little bit extra to get yourself something nice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 57X1MX6704

Schlup

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Equis on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:00 am

Thank you schloop

Equis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheeko on Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:56 pm

Wow that laptop is sweet! My recommendation on any machine (and the one thing that one lacks) is an SSD.

Cheeko
Raid Leader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slater on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Based on some quick reading up on those software packages I would not recommend a Mac (not sure if you were thinking about them or not). And I would recommend an i5 processor as a minimum but an i7 would be better.

A workstation GPU would be very beneficial for the software that you're using but they really suck for gaming so you kind of have to choose which way to go. If the only game that you play is WoW then it probably doesn't matter as WoW isn't exactly graphically intensive.

Cheeko is right, something with an SSD would be ideal. SSDs are easily the most noticeable upgrade one can make to their machine.

I like Lenovo personally. Something like this: [url:9zo2uicl]http:
//www.
newegg.
com/Product/Product.
aspx?Item=9SIA24G1E40175[/url:9zo2uicl] although that one does not have an SSD.

And of course there's cheaper systems than that, especially if you decide to stay away from workstation machines.

Slater
Dalek's Bane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Equis on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:17 am

Word, I appreciate the inputs.

Equis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Equis on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:34 am

So, something more along the lines of this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834317744

?

What benefit exactly does a SSD bring?

Equis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Schlup on Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:40 pm

SSD's are nice and will speed up most of the stuff you do from turning on the computer to loading programs to switching zones in WoW. I have a Lenovo personally, I also have a Lenovo for work. Personal is top of the line with the best you can get except for no SSD, and Work laptop is decent with a SSD. The problem is that you'll run out of space on a 180GB SSD in no time fast. They don't put the best SSD's in their laptops but you can tell a difference with load times. But running out of hard drive space creates alot of problems.

I would have recommended a laptop with a large SSD in it but it's simply out of your price range.

All that being said, I would recommend the laptop I linked to you first over anything else at this point, you can always put in an SSD later down the road when you can afford it. But upgrading everything else in the laptop isn't really a possibility.

Schlup

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheeko on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Even a 180-256gb ssd will do on a laptop with an external drive as well. At first I had a 120gb ssd that I used for windows, some system related programs and wow and had everything else on my 2tb internal drive (movies, music, other games). Since then I have thrown in another 2 ssd's since prices have come down for larger sizes.

Cheeko
Raid Leader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Slater on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:09 pm

If you're able to carry around an external hard drive then an SSD is a good idea if you can afford it. Like Schloop said though, it's always possible to upgrade to one later on.

A regular hard drive is essentially a record player. It has spinning platters and a head that reads the grooves in the "
record"
. An SSD (Solid State Drive) has no moving parts. It's what is in every smartphone and ipod out there. The advantages of an SSD are: resistant to physical impact (hard drives can break if you drop your laptop, SSDs can be thrown around and not get damaged due to no moving parts), lower power consumption (the power savings are pretty minimal but every minute counts on a laptop), and speed.

Hard drives need to move the head to correct place on the drive to read/write a file. This takes time. SSDs can grab files from anywhere on the drive much faster (easily up to 10 times faster). It's a noticeable speed increase in almost every situation. From start up to shut down the speed difference is crazy.

That laptop you linked Equis would be something that I would recommend assuming that 180 GB is enough for you. I found some benchmarks for the GPU too (including WoW!) here [url:3qex839w]http:
//www.
notebookcheck.
net/NVIDIA-Quadro-K2100M.
html[/url:3qex839w]. 31fps on high at 1080p. Not bad for a laptop gpu.

Slater
Dalek's Bane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down